The Atlantica Party recommends that the government and NSLC vacate the cannabis business and turn it over fully to Nova Scotian entrepreneurs.This means any private Nova Scotia individual or group could start an entity to grow, manufacture and sell cannabis products. Government’s role should be relegated to helping build the industry through licensing, providing standards and law enforcement.
Many benefits will accrue to Nova Scotians:
- Opportunities for many new businesses, economic growth and jobs province-wide.
- Encourage exports to the other Canadian jurisdictions that are struggling under government involvement and the burgeoning US market.
- The expansion of the industry will see higher tax revenues.
- Make Nova Scotia a more attractive destination.
- Cannabis plants are environmentally friendly across a wide range of criteria.
"Let’s get the dynamism of Nova Scotians to build this industry into one that can compete globally,” said Jonathan G Dean, Leader of the Atlantica Party. “The other Canadian governments have created an opportunity for Nova Scotia. Let take it.”